Toxic Alcohol | Case Presentations & Case Conclusions

<< Toxic Alcohol Ingestion: Prompt Recognition and Management in the Emergency Department (Critical Care Topic and Pharmacology CME)

Case Presentations & Case Conclusions

Case Presentations

A 27-year-old man with a history of depression presents after a reported ingestion of “about 8 ounces” of a workplace industrial solvent that has been identified by a shift supervisor as diethylene glycol. You are familiar with ethylene glycol and wonder if diethylene glycol poisoning results in similar toxicity. The patient has normal vital signs and a normal examination. What laboratory testing is warranted in this patient? Is it possible to obtain a diethylene glycol level? Based on this reported ingestion, what treatment is warranted?

To continue reading, please log in or purchase access.

Already purchased this course?
Log in to read.
Purchase a subscription

Price: $449/year

140+ Credits!

Money-back Guarantee
Get A Sample Issue Of Emergency Medicine Practice
Enter your email to get your copy today! Plus receive updates on EB Medicine every month.
Please provide a valid email address.