Cost- And Time-Effective Strategies For Wound Care
- Staples and cyanoacrylates are the quickest closure methods.
- Small, simple hand lacerations (< 2 cm) do not require primary closure.
- Sterile gloves have no advantage over nonsterile gloves in reducing wound infection.
- Clean tap water is as effective as (and cheaper than!) sterile saline for wound irrigation.
- Cyanoacrylates or absorbable sutures are cost-effective for patients, as they do not require return visits.
- Application of LET in triage allows a wound to be anesthetized by the time you see the patient.